With concerns about maintaining healthy skin, hair, nails and premature aging prevention, paying attention to internal and external beauty practices becomes more and more important. We all love it or would love it if people told us that we look younger than our age. In order to get these compliments, taking care of our skins becomes crucial. Here are 10 beauty tips and skincare tips to live by to get the most from your skin.
There are many more beauty and skincare tips than the 10 below these are a good starting point.
1. It is important to determine your skin type and use the products geared towards your skin type. Many skincare specialists create product lines targeted towards dry skin, oily skin, normal skin, combination skin or sensitive. You should determine what your skin type is first in order to know which skincare products work best for your skin.
2. Your skin needs to be kept moisturized. This goes beyond using a good moisturizing cream. It starts with drinking plenty of water. Six to ten glasses of water are recommended every day to keep the cells in the body moisturized. Our skin is made up of millions of cells and keeping these moisturized on a daily basis is the difference between your skin looking supple or dry and dehydrated which will cause it to age prematurely.
3. Daily cleansing one to two times a day is very important. This gets rid of dirt and grime that will clog your pores as well as other environmental pollutants from your skin. When cleansing, use lukewarm water. Hot or cold water can damage your skin.
4. Handle your skin with care. Overly aggressive body and facial scrubs and exfoliants can tear the skin and damage your skin. Be gentle, after all it’s your skin. Use scrubs and exfoliants two to three times a week and use the gentle kind that will not tear the skin but will only remove dead skin cells. Take care not to apply too many skin care products that will only clog your pores.
5. Once you determine your skin type, find a good moisturizer that will keep your skin moist. Moisturizing is a very important step. Do not let your skin become dry otherwise your skin will break or tear which becomes unattractive. Apply moisturizers when the skin is still slightly damp.
6. Do not use soaps on your face because they will excessively strip your skin of oil leaving it dry and vulnerable. They may also leave a layer of soap scum on your face which is detrimental to a good skin and beauty care routine. Cleansers are the best for your face and neck.
7. Sunscreen, sunscreen, sunscreen. Make sure that you apply sunscreen on a daily basis rain or shine to protect your skin from the aging and harmful UVA and UVB rays from the sun. Black skin also needs sunscreen to be applied although the melanin content on black skin has an intrinsic SPF of about 10 to 11 which is still not enough to protect against the sun’s harmful UV rays. The sunscreen can be included in the moisturizer or applied separately after moisturizer. The sunscreen should be of at least SPF 15.
8. Exercise and maintaining a healthy diet is good for the body and the skin. Getting adequate sleep is also important for maintaining healthy skin. Sleep deprivation leads to premature wrinkling especially around the eyes. Exercise and adequate sleep helps you beat the aging effects of stress.
9. Skin problems such as breakouts, etc, should be treated with care. Do not ignore any issues that you have with your skin. Visit a dermatologist so that you are prescribed an effective skin care product or oral medication to address the problem timely.
10. Stress is very harmful to the skin and your overall well being so every effort should be made to reduce stress. Take an aromatherapy bath containing a few drops of essential oils like lavender that will help you combat stress and cultivate a balanced mood and improve your overall well being. Meditate, exercise or chant to rid your body of stress. Get a good night’s sleep.